Wednesday, August 5, 2009

RTK Training Log - 08/05/09 - "Medium" Day

Medium day is probably my favorite day with this program. Using two 24 kilo kettlebells is enough weight to make you feel like your actually pushing something, while not so heavy that you struggle through the reps.

After warming up with rope jumping and my basic circuit, I set up my 24 kilo bells and got to work.

As this is my second week of the "explosive" block, I decided to up my ladders to four. However, I've also learned my lesson when it comes to doing too much too soon and getting injured, so I kept my rungs to three this time.

For my first set, I did my two reps, concentrating on snapping the clean up and then keeping my hands neutral at the top of the jerk (lockout). on the way down, I paid the rack a brief visit before I dropped the bells down and back.

It's important to remember to snap the hips forward and bring the bells up close to the body, into the rack. You'll have more energy and strength to drive the bells up in the jerk.

With only 30 seconds rest between the rungs, you can really feel the effects of this whole body exercise. I can see where quick ladders with 2,4,6,8,10 reps would have you in killer condition in no time!

Next week I'll be on vacation and back to the grind block. I'm taking my bells with me, though, as I want to be ready for the Hardstyle Kettlebell Cert in September. By then, I plan to have hit 5 ladders of 2,4,6,8 in the clean and jerk with the 32 kgs.

So goes my somewhat conservative estimate but with luck and hard work, I should be able to make it.

No comments: